Sunday, October 21, 2007

I wish I was a kid! UB FUNKEYS


UB FUNKEYS



In the style of the RobotLove craze, Japanese collectable keychains, come UB Funkeys (http://www.ubfunkeys.com/index.html). These tiny designer toys connect to your USB port and allow you to play a number of small mini games in the online world of Terrapinia.


Unlock New Games
If I was a child today, this is a toy I would demand. I would race to the toy shelves searching for the rare and ultra rare variants of each character. Each different character opens up different parts of the city and unlocks different playable mini games.


Design
From a design standpoint UB Funkeys is extremely appealing. The mini teddy bear shapes are very pleasing and the designs are also very eye catching. I prefer the Lotus figure. Having the variant aspect always adds an extra dimension of collectablility, even if it feels slightly like gambling.


Rewards System
The idea that the toys connect to the computer to allow access to mini games and new areas in an online community is extremely appealing. The upgradable house and coin system is similar to gaia online (http://www.gaiaonline.com/) or any number SIM games. It is an addictive system of play time= small (meaningless but fun) rewards.


Purchase
I am off to the store to buy one to give my full review in the future. I hope it is as fun as it looks. Yes I am a little old, but I am still the kind of guy that enjoys a decent game of Candyland every now and then.






1 comment:

William Hessian said...

Come on! the super Wal-Mart had funkeys' but didnt have the starter kit. What the heck is up with that?

So we left empty handed. we were so depressed we went and gambled.

Actually this is good material for a follow up blog.