Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Solidarity with the Occupy Wall Street Movement




Despite working 5 jobs (to pay my debts) and 7+ days a week (a few double shifts), I have managed to get over to Occupy Minneapolis a few times. I held up signs and participated in a general assembly. I am inspired by the Occupy Wall Street and stand in Solidarity with all Occupy movements happening right now. I am especially inspired by Punk Patriot and my friends at the Free Change Collective. They are in New York peacefully protesting...which means getting arresting, pepper sprayed, and shoved around: all while filming a documentary. I am proud to know them. Click the links to see dozens of videos from the Occupy Wall Street protests.

Videos like this:



This is a really exciting time, but we need more support. We need numbers. We need more people to show up at Occupy and let the country know that we care and that we are paying attention. I will be returning to Occupy Minneapolis this week, and I plan to get as involved as I can given the time that I have. Here is a quote that I found really inspiring:

There are no excuses left. Either you join the revolt taking place on Wall Street and in the financial districts of other cities across the country or you stand on the wrong side of history. Either you obstruct, in the only form left to us, which is civil disobedience, the plundering by the criminal class on Wall Street and accelerated destruction of the ecosystem that sustains the human species, or become the passive enabler of a monstrous evil. Either you taste, feel and smell the intoxication of freedom and revolt or sink into the miasma of despair and apathy. Either you are a rebel or a slave. (by chris hedges)

No comments: