Friday, January 5, 2018

Crypto Kitties and the Fate of the World as we know it


Ladies and Gentlemen, I have just adopted my first CryptoKitties with Etherium, at www.cryptokitties.co    Check out my cute little kitten friends above!

The last four weeks has been a cannonball into the world of bitcoin and cryptocurrencies. I invested only as an excuse to learn what it was all about and found myself passionately believing in blockchain technology and the problems it could hypothetically solve. And a few weeks later I have found myself making transactions to buy digital beanie babies online.....What the heck happened?

I do not plan to go into the politics or beliefs of cryptocurrencies, because I have not fleshed out my understanding to a point where I feel comfortable blogging about it and because some of what I feel is speculative. Needless to say I suggest everyone go learn about it and see if it something that appeals to you as well. I love the idea of monetary systems backed by the people and not the untrustworthy banks, and I also love the idea of protecting data, anonymity, and freedom online. 

As far as kitties go, in a way, Cryptokitties is a cute little test to see if this new technology works, and how exactly it will hash out. I had to get in and try it out. In some ways right now it feels a little like Pokemon GO to me, as people are getting into to something new and clambering for details on how it is all going to work. I suspect a big boom, which is already happening, and then a cool down which will breed new and amazing things to come down the road. Essentially I stumbled through buying currencies and figuring out metamask and coinbase and binance (heads up: referral link!) all finally culminating in a few kitties and watching my other investments fluctuate like wild bull in candy store (.....ugh I dont know what that even means except volatile).

Anyways, it has been fun to ride this wave of new technology, ideas and ideologies rolling out.  Go check out my kitties and give them some hearts if you have time! 

No comments: